1840S The first permanent settlement
in the area was “Tallygaroopna” sheep station. By 1843 the station was being run by Sherbourne Sheppard, the towns eventual namesake. With the Victorian Gold rush of the 1850s the region became a popular river crossing for miners travelling east from Ballarat and Bendigo goldfields. As there was no bridge yet Irish entrepreneur, Patrick Macquire, soon setup a punt service and also the town's first building.. “The Punt House” Macquire sold the building to John Hill in 1853, who converted it into a hotel, the Emu Bush Inn. The settlement soon became known as Macquires Punt.
1854 First Post Office opened
but closed again in July that same year.
1855 Settlement first surveyed
by this time in addition to Maqcguires Punt, it had also become known as Sheppard Town and later Shepparton.
1858 May, Post Office Reopens and
1860, 24 Sep It's Shepparton – It's Official,
Governor of Victoria, declared Shepparton a township. It remained a small settlement with half-dozen buildings into 1870s.
1878, Shepparton's first bridge –
"Dainton's Bridge" across the goulburn river, completed
1879, Shepparton's First Church
- St. Patrick opens.
1880-1900 Shepparton's Railway Boom, it seems
from Seymour reached Shepparton.
If you have better videos, historical pics or content please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org