1858 George Brown erected the first court house.
1861 Wollongongs 1st Horse-Drawn Tramway
from Mount Keira to Wollongong Harbour
1862 Wollongong to Bellambi Telegraph
1865 First Gas Supply in Wollongong
was provided from a gas plant in Corrimal Street.
1868 Wollongong's Harbour extensions
were opened by Lady Belmore and named Belmore Basin.
1870s Wollongong Coke Works Established
by Patrick Lahiff at Wollongong Harbour. The ovens were demolished in 1892. Their remains were later recovered and are now preserved with a plaque explaining their history.
1871 Wollongong Lighthouse
1880 Mt Keira to Wollongong Harbour steam locomotives
were introduced to haul coal the harbour.
1883 Wollongong Installed Gas Street Lighting.
1885 New Court House Erected
in Market St, Wollongong. Designed in the Classical Revival style considered appropriate for public buildings. It's now listed on the Register of the National Estate.
1886 Wollongong's First Town Hall
1887 The Illawarra Railway to Wollongong
1902 Australia's Worst Coal Mine Disaster at Mt Kembla mine
when an explosion killed 94 men and boys, the youngest aged 14, the oldest 69. Two other men died attempting to rescue survivors.
1908 The Wollongong District Hospital
was established on Garden Hill.
1916 The Wollongong High School
If you have better videos, historical pics or content please submit to email@example.com